The camellias are in bloom in my yard. They are such heavy blooms that they pull the limbs down until they eventually pop off. I snipped some off to put by my bed. They are so pretty.
I put them in my studio first and composed a little painting. I sketched them a few times making contour drawings.
I chose my palette. I've heard it is good to limit your palette to a few colors. From the experiments I did last night painting a page of camellias over and over again I came up with the following palette:
As I was finishing the painting I seemed to get the hang of this watercolor thing. The middle flower is the first one I did. I really "over-painted" it. I thought about trying to lift the color off and try again but decided to leave it.
Here is the finished product. I may paint this one again and see if I've learned a few things!!!
Thanks for peeking!