Sunday, February 24, 2013

SCAD, Savannah...

I didn't realize when you finish a painting it would feel like when you finish a book or a great T.V. series (I'm mourning the end of season 3 of Downton Abbey). I feel very down now that I have finished the Paris Market painting.




 My daughter loved it and I loved working on it. Every minute was exciting as I learned more about shading and perspective. I also enjoyed painting a place my daughter and I have chosen as one of our faves. 

I really struggled to figure out what to paint next. I finished my January painting.



This is still not my favorite painting. I ruined it with the black and I didn't recover it in any way. Oh well, chalk it up to learning about composition.

I started my February painting. 



I played around with lettering but nothing seemed to be crying out for me to paint. Finally, I settled on another painting of Savannah. Painters paint in series...correct?

I took a neat picture of SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) and thought, "Why not?". I'm sure I'm not the first person to paint the SCAD theater (mostly because it is a school is for ART and DESIGN!



Don't you just love the "oh so cool" sign?


I stole a trick from my architecture days and sketched the angles and perspective before I began. 


At this point I have put in hours and I'm not enjoying it very much. I'm still mourning the finish of The Paris Market (and the death of Matthew Crawley of Downton Abbey!).



Another day and I’m feeling refreshed and finally excited about this painting.


It's time for bed so I'll have to put it to rest. Darn...tomorrow is a work day. Maybe I'll have some studio time tomorrow night. 
Thanks for letting me share and for peeking inside my sketchbook.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!