Saturday, December 29, 2012

Savannah, Ga

Savannah, Georgia is a beautiful place and is one of my very favorite places to visit. The architecture is ornate and diverse. The history is deep and rich. The place is magical. 

My daughter, Maggie May, enjoys photography so we visited the famous cemetery Bonaventure. She took many interesting shots and we stayed away from the ghosts!


While MM was taking pictures, I concentrated on the fences and the gates. I recently had discovered a jewelry line created after Charleston Gates.



 It got me thinking about the frequently overlooked fencing. As I started looking around the fencing was just beautiful! I could have easily missed it. 



The variety is amazing. The metal workers were true artists.


This one seemed upside-down to me. The weight of the fencing was on the top. 

The one above was so heavy and this one was created so delicately.


One of the difficulties in sketching these old gates and fences is that they are sinking and off-kilter. I had to rely on what I was seeing instead of what I thought. It was good practice. Notice the cement block on the right it is facing down in the front. I have been struggling with perspective and I have to learn how to see!

Thank you for peeking into my sketchbook.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!